Kingdom : Animalia
                          Class : Actinopterygii
                       Family : Gymnotidae
        Scientific Name : Electrophorus
                                         Electricus

                       Size(L) : 2.5m (8.22ft)
                       Weight : 20kg (44lbs)
                 Top Speed : 8km/h (5mph)
                  Life Span : 15 - 22 years

                      Colour : Black, White, 
                                      Purple, Blue
                 Skin Type : Scales
Distinctive Features : Long body and organs
                                      that produce and 
                                      electric current
  1. Electric Eels are found in the South American waters.
  2. They get their name from their ability to generate a 500volt electric shock through 28feet of still water.
  3. This electricity is produced in pairs of organs found in their abdomen.
  4. The electricity producing organs make up 80% of their body the remaining 20% contain their vital organs.
  5. Despite their name they are not related to the Common Eel fish and are often smaller than them.
  6. They are closely related to the catfish.
  7. They are known to grow to be around 2.5m long.
  8. Their complex circulatory system only requires them to surface for air every 10 minutes.
  9. They inhabit the muddy bottoms of calm, stagnant rivulets, floodplains, swamps, coastal plains and creeks.
  10. They exhibit unusual breeding behavior, with the males making a nest with their saliva, in the dry season.
  11. The females lay their eggs in that nest and around 17,000 young electric eels hatch from a single nest.
  12. The first born electric eels feed on the eggs which were laid shortly after them.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top