Kingdom : Animalia
Class : Mammalia
Family : Bradypodidae
Scientific Name : Choloepus Hoffmani
Size : 50 - 70cm (20 - 28in)
Weight : 4.5 - 6kg (10 - 13lbs)
Top Speed : 24km/h (15mph)
Life Span : 25 - 40 years
Colour : Brown, Tan, White, Grey
Skin Type : Fur
Special Features : Flattened face and long,
- Sloths are tree-dwelling mammals found in Central and South America.
- They grow to an average size of 50-60cm and are known to have a short tail.
- There are two species mainly0 The two-toed sloth and the three-toed sloth.
- They are distantly related to armadillos and anteaters.
- They are believed to have evolved around 60 million years ago.
- It is also thought that ground-dwelling sloths were around till recently and have been wiped out by human settlements.
- Sloths are known to have an average body temperature of around 30-34 degrees Celsius.
- It is believed that they will not be able to survive in any other habitat apart from their specific habitat.
- They are found only in the Jungles of South and Central America.
- They are slow moving animals that have only their sharp claws for their defense.
- They are omnivores, feeding mainly on leaves which have very less nutrition.
- Sloths have a complex and large digestive system that helps them digest the leaves.
- They also feed on insects, small reptiles and birds.
- They spend most of their time feeding and sleeping on trees.
- Their natural predators are snakes, large birds of prey, Jaguars and Humans.
- Sloths are solitary animals that come together only to mate.
- They attract each other to mate through loud calls.
- The female sloth gives birth to a single baby after a 4-5-month gestation.
- Due to their limited habitat, sloths are considered to be an endangered species today.